How do I prepare for a surgical shelf exam?
How To Study For Surgery Shelf Exam
- Build your surgical foundation by reading good surgery textbooks. …
- Start doing questions as early as you can. …
- Learn from your rounds. …
- Follow a strict study schedule. …
- Study like you would take the medicine shelf…
What should I study for the shelf exam?
UWorld Medicine is the best resource to study for the Medicine Shelf Exam. Although it will take several weeks to complete, it’s definitely worth it! There are currently over 1400 medicine questions; if you have a typical medicine rotation (8-12 weeks), you should aim to finish all the questions by week 6.
Is UWorld harder than shelf?
The shelf was a touch easier than UWorld but still challenging. My UWorld was slightly below the average (only did about ~1300/1400 questions; did not do incorrects). My shelf was slightly above the average.
Is the surgery shelf exam hard?
It often requires long hours on the wards and in the OR, with relatively frequent call. After weeks of this (usually 6 to 8 weeks, depending on the med school), you will then be faced with the Surgery Shelf Exam, which has a reputation as being one of the more challenging Shelf Exams.
Are shelf exams harder than Step 2?
They’re essentially the same. You won’t have any “matching” type questions on Step 2 though. There’s some correlation, but you can score well if you dedicate yourself towards Step 2 studying. I was an average student on my shelf exams but did very well on Step 2.
Are shelf exams pass fail?
2) The shelf exam must be passed to pass the course. Additionally certain scores (selected by the course director) are required for certain grades.
Do shelf exams matter?
Whatever the case may be for you, shelf exam scores matter for a percentage of your grade, and not only that! The knowledge you muster through studying for shelf exams also translates well into other aspects that feed into your overall grade, e.g. OSCE exams, preceptor evaluations, etc.
What happens if you fail a shelf exam?
4. What happens if you fail a Shelf exam? Because medical schools often use the Shelf exams to measure their students’ proficiency from clinical rotations, failure of a Shelf exam can risk failure of the rotation for the corresponding clinical subject.
What is a good shelf exam score?
A student must receive a minimum overall score of at least ≥ 56, an NBME Shelf Exam score > 5th percentile, an SP Exam score >2 SD below the mean to be eligible for a Pass.
Is the surgery shelf curved?
There is no curve. For the scaled score, a 70 on an easy exam should equal a 70 on a hard exam. They adjust the scaled score based on difficulty level. For example, if an exam is harder, you would need to get fewer answers correct to get a 70.